A man with no party

0
As a politically active person, I identify with no political party. I am one of many individuals who feel disaffected and disenfranchised by a coercive government, and the corporate system in which it operates. Choosing a political party is like deciding between getting shot or stabbed. A party and its representatives will never actualize its promises, never represent your beliefs, never meet the needs of the people, and will always serve interests in the benefit of themselves and large companies.

Government and society are mutually opposed. Society is comprised of individuals, with needs, desires, and passions constantly in flux. Government, comprised of elected officials and an inefficient hierarchical organization, is slow to adapt to the needs of the individual. Hierarchies allow perpetuation of violence, injustice, and inequality at the expense of the majority for the benefit of a few.

As individuals, we have to realize our innate ability for self-governance. Being dependent on government, no matter who represents us, will lead to the imposition of the will of the minority on that of the majority. Problems riddle our world: corporations putting profits over the environment and people, violence (including Canada’s 13 years in Afghanistan), and an increasing wealth inequality, to name a few. These problems are not only allowed by government, but are exacerbated by it. Nonetheless, political parties, election after election, will make their share of promises and claims to better society, but change never occurs.

A person’s choice of political party usually depends on which represents their views the closest, out of tradition, or which is most popular and likely to win. When the party fails to actualize its promises, the party is blamed; rhetoric will justify the failings as a function of circumstance or the promises forgotten. Voters are then held responsible for electing officials incapable of leading the nation. People will be hostile, blaming others for voting for the wrong party. Challenging the systemic causes of these failings is rarely considered.

The divisive effects of people siding with political parties to represent themselves and their beliefs is disastrous to the wellbeing of society and the individuals it comprises. Politics create artificial boundaries between people, negating our capacity for co-operation, individuality, interdependence, and personal autonomy. Hierarchies are inherently corruptible and malevolent. Cultivating understanding, relationships and eliminating conflict on a personal level is key to the success of society. As people responsible for the stewardship of this planet we have a duty to create a future ripe with equality, social justice and liberty, free from oppression, tyranny, coercion and violence. None of this will be achieved within our current political system.

A de-centralized society based on direct democracy will allow the citizen’s voice to be heard and spoken by all, cultivating a peaceful and productive society. Principles of liberty and equality will ensure that no voice is overpowering, regardless of wealth, title or identity. Eliminating hierarchy and encouraging active participation among citizens would ensure no permanence among leaders. This change begins with us as responsible individuals.

Brandon Love
3B Geomatics