Campus Crime

0
Arrest made in theft of laptop

UWPS officers conducted a follow up investigation into the theft of an Apple MacBook Air laptop computer. The computer had originally been reported stolen by a UW student to UWPS Apr. 12 from a student lounge on the third floor of MC.

On Dec. 10 at 2:30 p.m., UWPS officers located a male in possession of this laptop while in the DC library. The male, a 21-year-old UW student, was arrested and has been charged with three offences in relation to the laptop:

• One count of Theft Under $5,000
• One count of Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5,000
• Mischief to Data

He will appear before a judge on Jan. 12 in Kitchener.

Thefts

Bikes (4):
• Men’s Schwinn Moab mountain bike, dark brown with a black and red fanny pack on seat. Taken between Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, from E3 bike rack. Cable lock was cut.
• Ladies specialized mountain bike, 21-speed, green with orange lettering. Taken between Nov. 25 and Dec. 3 from St. Paul’s bike rack.
• Men’s Surley Cross Check, single speed, black, studded Schwalbe Marathon tires, square lab saddle, silver fender, front and rear racks, nitto noodle handlebars, son generator hub, and lumitec lights. Taken Dec. 4, between 12:10 p.m. and 5 p.m. from MC bike rack.
• Men’s Supercycle mountain bike, 21-speed, blue. Taken Dec. 12 between 12 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. from CLV, Unit 20.

Laptop(1):
• Apple MacBook Air 15”, taken from third-floor silent study of the School of Architecture (Cambridge) on Dec. 11 between 1 p.m. and 1:05 p.m. Suspect description: Male, white, middle aged, blonde hair, average height, large nose, wrinkles, wearing dark pants, jacket and hat, possibly carrying a grocery bag.

Cell Phone (1):
• Apple iPhone 5S, black. Taken on Dec. 1 between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. from the first floor of QNC.

Vacuum cleaner (1):
• Industrial model S10, red, with “ED” written in marker on side. Taken Dec. 8 at 12:47 from corridor outside REV gym. Suspect description: two males and two females in winter clothing.

False fire alarms

• At 1:54 p.m. Dec. 9, on second floor common area in RCH
• At 5:59 p.m. Dec. 16, at laundry room by hallway 119 at Eby Hall

In both instances UWPS officers and the Waterloo Fire Department responded to alarms at these locations. On both occasions the alarms were found to have been caused by someone falsely activating a pull station alarm.

UWPS wishes to remind the public that falsely activating a fire alarm is a criminal offence. There is a danger created for the fire departments and other emergency services personnel who respond in the belief there is a fire. When determined to be a false alarm, it is recognized as a major inconvenience for the occupants of the buildings. These incidents are rigorously investigated by police and where those responsible are identified, they will be charged criminally.

Police encourage anyone that has information regarding a fire alarm being falsely activated to report to their don or UWPS.

Liquor Licence Act provincial offence notices issued

Notices Issued (3):
• Intoxicated in Public – 2
• Presenting False ID – 1