Campus Crime

0
<strong>False fire alarms</strong>

Wednesday, Nov. 5 at 8:36 p.m.

UWPS officers and the Waterloo Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at EV3. Upon arrival, it was determined there was no fire and that the alarm had been caused by someone falsely activating a pull station alarm at the rear entrance on the east side of the building.

CCTV caught images of a person that appears to have activated the pull station alarm. He is described as: male, black, 5&rsquo;10&rdquo;, early 20s, medium build, clean shaven, wearing a black toque, dark coloured jacket with white stripe on bottom, carrying a light grey backpack with orange trim.

Sunday, Nov. 9, 2014 at approximately 2:00 a.m.

UWPS officers and the Waterloo Fire Department responded to an alarm at MKV. Upon arrival, they found a layer of thick smoke lingering in the air, which was later determined to be caused by a discharged fire extinguisher. The extinguisher had been discharged in a recycling room located near room 104. The fire extinguisher was later found in the elevator.

These types of incidents are taken very seriously by UWPS It results in a danger to people inside the building who have to evacuate. There is also a danger created for the fire departments and other emergency services personnel who respond in the belief that there is a fire. When determined to be a false alarm, it is recognized as a major inconvenience for the occupants and results in disruption to classes.&nbsp; These incidents are rigorously investigated by police and where those responsible are identified they will be charged criminally.

&nbsp;

<strong>Thefts</strong>

Laptop:

Apple MacBook Pro, silver with black case stolen between 10:30 and 11:30 a.m., Nov. 8. DC Room 1351, taken from a backpack that was left at the front of the room while an exam was being written.

Wallet:

Wallet containing various bank cards, ID, and a small amount of cash stolen between 10:45 a.m. and 12:20 p.m., Nov. 10 from the PAC women&rsquo;s locker room, from an unsecured locker.

Police encourage anyone that has information regarding any offences to contact UWPS directly or report via the UWPS Anonymous Reporting system found on the UW Police website at uwaterloo.ca/police/anonymous-reporting-form.