Cutting the fat: Eating healthy on campus

0
Graphic by Lea Clarin

It’s a struggle trying to meal prep for an entire week to spare your waist line and your bottom line, sometimes you slip up and you need to eat on campus. It happens to the best of us. So, what do you do when the thought of pizza, Tim Hortons, and other greasy foods turn you off?

Better yet, what do you do if you also happen to be vegetarian, gluten free or vegan? Here’s some tips for meals on campus that will make you feel satisfied without the feeling of guilt from eating calorically dense and far from nutritious, quick meals.

Pita Pit

Graphic by Lea Clarin

This is always a go—to, when the line is short. You can customize the contents of your pita to your liking, they have vegan and vegetarian options, and the portions aren’t outrageously sized. Not to mention that it’s an easy way to get in a variety of veggies for your day like spinach and sprouts.

International News

International News hosts a variety of food and while most of it is quick junk food pickups there are some hidden gems. For instance, you can pick up a warm homemade style meal of rice and chicken, there are a variety of sandwiches, and there’s also sushi if you’re not close enough to Campus Bubble or on late nights when everything else is closed. You can also grab some healthy snacks too.

Teriyaki Experience

Graphic by Lea Clarin

If you choose the right options at this restaurant, you can achieve a healthy and filling meal. Opt for things like brown rice instead of white, water to sautee the vegetables instead of oil, and go lighter on the sauces you can add at the end of the line.

FRSH

Located in the AHS expansion this food option is dedicated to serving healthy food options.

They have rice and quinoa bowls, burritos and sandwiches, salads, wraps, smoothies, and freshly squeezed juices.

These are a few of many options on campus that you can find if you look hard enough. Sometimes you have to maneuver your way through menus and options to make it work but in the end if you want it, it’s worth it.