Environment lecture series continues

0

The second environment seminar presented by Dean André Roy discussed the (partial) failure of environmentalism and potential methods of re-engaging individuals and institutions to take part in sustainable development Feb. 28th. 

Prof. Blair Feltmate from the School of Environment, Enterprise and Development (SEED) first talked about corporate sustainable development, and he introduced the three components of this topic, which included environment, society and economy. The ultimate purpose of this sustainable development model is to reduce the environmental footprint, improve the quality of life, and promote equitable wealth. 

Feltmate then mentioned several examples of corporate sustainable development. Before the 2000s, implementing sustainable development was limited to oil and mining industries, but after entering the new century, the implementation expanded to all industry sectors. He emphasized that in these cases, business is the driver of every involvement regarding sustainable development. 

From 2000 to present, the overall trend of corporate sustainable development has been declining. Feltmate explained it is because the new generation of managers did not carry those values from their predecessors. In order to re-engage the involvement of this movement, Feltmate suggested engaging capital markets and communicating progress on sustainable development more effectively and concisely. 

Prof. Stephen Quilley from the department of environment and resource studies and SEED extended the discussion from practical to philosophical. He challenged environmental academics in particular to see how that may turnaround selfish behaviours as people turn inwards during the period of planet degradation. 

The next environment seminar will discuss the relationships between environment, food, and health March 21 by Prof. Stephanie Scott and Goretty Dias.