Men’s basketball splits a double-header with Lakehead

0
The Waterloo Warriors traveled up to Thunder Bay for two games on consecutive days against the Lakehead Thunderwolves Jan. 10.

In game three of their four-game road trip, the Warriors started slow out of the gate, recording only nine points in the first quarter. Despite the low-scoring quarter, the Warriors only trailed the Thunderwolves by five points heading into the second.

After the Warriors outscored Lakehead 15–14 in the second quarter, the home team Thunderwolves came storming back in the second half, outscoring Waterloo by a whopping 48–24 and winning the contest by a final score of 76–48. The Warriors struggled offensively throughout the game and failed to score 20 points in any of the four quarters.

Following their blowout loss, the Warriors set out to play the same Lakehead squad the next day. When game time arrived on Jan. 11, the Warriors looked like a completely different, more focused team.

The Warriors had a four-point advantage (19–15) going into the second quarter and never looked back, stretching it to a 12-point lead going into halftime. In the second half, the Warriors came out with the same focus they had from the start of the game and held on to win the final game of their four-game road trip, 77–71. Warriors’ star Jaspreet Gill finished the game with 27 points on eight for 17 shooting and exceptional six for 10 shooting from three-point range.

Warriors head coach Greg Francis was thrilled about his team’s bounce back performance in the second game of a back-to-back. Francis said in an interview, “The players did not quit on the team or themselves on Saturday after a tough game on Friday night. I think that our veteran players stepped up and showed our younger players how to stick to a game plan against a good team on the road.”

When asked which players stood out for him over both games, Francis responded, “Wayne Bridge and Jaspreet Gill played with a lot of intensity over the weekend.  Both of these players can score the basketball, but I was really impressed with their defensive effort.  They both picked up charges and held some talented players under their season scoring average”.

The Warriors look to win their second game in a row on Wednesday night, when Waterloo hosts the visiting McMaster Marauders at 8 p.m. in the PAC gym.