New funding will provide further opportunities for quantum research

0
A new $5 million lab facility in UW’s Institute of Quantum Computing, (IQC) will provide a new tool that will add to UW’s cutting edge quantum research by producing a variety of materials that could be used to further quantum computing research. 

The tool will be able to produce, or “grow,” materials such as superconductors and topological insulators, as well as oxides and metals. These materials are crucial to building devices such as computer chips, sensing systems, and other types of microprocessors, which scientists are constantly increasing in productivity, while reducing their size. Built by Omicron Instruments, it can produce high-quality thin films that are used in modern electronics and optical coatings.

The new funding being used at the IQC will help Prof. David Cory and Assistant Prof. Guoxing Miao in their research on spintronics, or “magnetoelectronics,” which furthers the use of the electron by examining its internal activities. Cory is a Canada Research Chair in Quantum Information Processing, while professor Miao’s background is in electrical and computer engineering.  The funding will also further the already interdisciplinary activities at the IQC, which will allow researchers like Cory and Miao to further quantum research.

The new lab was funded by the Government of Canada, The Canada Foundation for Innovation, the Ontario Research Fund, and industry partners.

UW’s IQC was founded by Mike Lazaridis in 2002 and has produced cutting edge research that is considered to be an innovator in practical quantum technologies. UW’s IQC expects that its faculty will grow to about 30 members, with up to 50 postdoctoral fellows, and 125 students for research opportunities.

As UW’s quantum information research continues to grow, it helps to contribute to Waterloo’s reputation as “Quantum Valley,” having similarities to California’s famous Silicon Valley.year, Fieguth highlighted.