News Briefs

0

Rob Ford remained seated as council recognizes success of Pride Toronto

In another charge of homophobia against Rob Ford, the Toronto mayor stayed seated during a long ovation by city council to acknowledge the success of the Toronto World Pride 10-day festivities.

When asked by the Globe and Mail why he remained seated, Rob Ford said, “I stick up for the taxpayers’ money. I’ve saved hundreds of millions of dollars. It drives you guys crazy I know.” 

His brother, Coun. Doug Ford, came to Ford’s defence and told the Globe and Mail, “Say someone in the gay community calls him, he shows up to their door, and he’s helped numerous people… You don’t want to report that there’s some gay people on his campaign team, you don’t want to report that, either.”

In his time as mayor of Toronto and in his tenure as city councilor, Rob Ford has never attended a Pride parade, always citing family obligations.

Body of father and two sons found burned in car in Barrie

A Mississauga father, Samuel Masih, and his two young sons were found dead in a burned car in Barrie after being reported missing for days. The two boys, Sutherland and Santosh, were 10 and 4, respectively. There are no suspects in connection with the trio’s death.

Prior to their disappearance, neighbours told police Masih and his wife were experiencing marital problems and were preparing for divorce, according to the Toronto Star. Masih’s wife, Brintha Shanmugalingam reported them missing around 1:30 a.m. Friday, July 14. 

She told police she had not heard from them since 4 p.m. on Thurday July 3, when he took the boys to a movie. The burning vehicle was first discovered early on Friday, metres away from a drive-in movie theatre. The bodies were not identified until the coroner’s findings were released late Wednesday.

Two Canadians at Wimbledon make Canadian tennis history

Milos Raonic made Canadian men’s tennis history at Wimbledon, being the first Canadian man to reach the semi-finals of a Grand Slam. Raonic would eventually be defeated by Roger Federer in a straight sets victory 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.

Fellow Canadian Eugenie Bouchard was the first Canadian woman to reach the final of a Grand Slam, where she would eventually be defeated by Petra Kvitova 6-3, 6-0. She also made Canadian tennis history by propelling her ranking up to number seven in the world after her performance at Wimbledon.