Not the best reunion ever

0
The Waterloo Warriors played their last home game of the season Sept. 27, amidst rumours of the team folding for the 2015 season. In front of an excited crowd of both current students and alumni during reunion weekend, the Western Mustangs spoiled the party soundly defeating the Warriors 69–3. This game wraps up a trio of tough games for the Warriors in which they struggled with the “Terrible W’s” and were outscored by Wilfrid Laurier, Windsor, and Western by a total score of 175–7.
At the last home game of the season, reunion weekend doubled as senior day, where several Warriors were recognized for their contributions to the program in what, for many, was the last game they would play at Warrior Field. Graduating players included wide receivers Max Hill, Paul Cecile, Mike Dedys, and Christian Lewis, defensive back Peter Morgan, cornerback Miklos McMaster, slot back Daniel Tisi, and offensive lineman Thomas Demers.

Waterloo started off strong, making three key defensive stops on deep passes courtesy of Christian Mahler and Jordan Hoover within the first few minutes of the game.

While Waterloo started off strong on the pass defence, Western has a variety of offensive weapons in their arsenal and took the attack to the ground. On the same drive Yannick Harou would register three consecutive runs, finding the end zone on the latter and adding Western’s first major score of the day. Western had a dominant first quarter, scoring 28 points. Seven other Mustangs would record their own touchdowns. Waterloo would get on the board with 2:33 remaining in the first quarter courtesy of Caleb Girard’s 41-yard field goal.

Western had 753 offensive yards on the ground, 401 of which were rushing yards, compared to the Warriors 183 net yards of offence. The Warriors are last in the nation on defence against the rush. Western’s defence contained the Warriors’ offence, allowing only 46 rushing yards on the day. They would also add seven sacks for a total of 22 on the season, first in the CIS. The next closest team in the nation to that total is Montreal with 17, and in the OUA Guelph, Ottawa, and Queen’s are all 10 behind that total with 12.

Quarterback Jamie Cook threw 17 for 29 on the day, totalling 180 yards, while Western’s Will Finch — last year’s record-breaking OUA MVP — threw 10 for 17, totalling 207 yards and good for three touchdowns.

A common target for Cook was graduating senior Mike Dedys, who led all receivers both Western and Waterloo, on the day. Dedys made seven receptions for a total of 88 yards during his final performance at Warrior Field, earning Warrior of the game honours.

Greg Zaitz had another dominant defensive performance adding 8.5 total tackles to his numbers. Zaitz now leads the OUA in total tackles with 36.5 and is second in the league in assisted tackles.

Waterloo will play out the remainder of their season on the road making their first stop in the nation’s capital on Oct. 4 to take on the 2–3 Ottawa Gee-Gees.