Pilon’s Gold leads Warriors to CIS Track and Field Championship

0
The 2014 Ontario University Athletics track & field championships took place Feb. 21–22, hosted by York University at the Toronto Track & Field Centre. Both the men’s and women’s teams had strong showings, both finishing seventh in the province. Numerous Waterloo athletes met or exceeded personal bests, putting their own marks on UW’s record books.

None found more success than women’s team captain Chantel Pilon, who started for the women’s 4x400m relay team and took gold in the pentathlon, her main event. Pilon, who finished in last place in 2011, took the gold with a score of 3483, breaking her own Warriors record in the process. First place finishes in shot put and the 800m, along with a fourth place in long jump, and sixth in 60m hurdles and high jump were all personal bests or near personal bests. The gold was Waterloo’s first in track and field since 2003, and Pilon was named an OUA all-star.

The women’s 4x200m and 4x400m relay teams both qualified for the Canadian Interuniversity Sport Championship with a pair of fifth place runs to maintain their national eighth place rankings. The 4x200m team, consisting of Tegan Sauer, Monica Januszek, Jenny Carrique, and Naomi Lance, ran a time of 1:42.26s, a second faster than their previous season best. Pilon started for the 4x400m team, followed by Lance, Januszek, and Rachel Brown, and crossed the line in 3:54.49s.

The men’s team saw Justin Conlon break a meet record with a 13.21m shot put throw in his seventh place, pentathlon effort. Conlon scored 3420, taking fifth in high jump and sixth in long jump. Mohamed Yassin tied his personal best while also finishing seventh in the 60m dash.

Yassin finished sixth and seventh in the 4x200m and 4x400m relays, respectively along with Adam Neale, Micah Hesman, and Tommy Gingras. Despite the respectable places, they were unable to break into the national top eight for CIS contention.

Pilon and the women’s relay teams will represent Waterloo at the CIS Championships in Edmonton Mar. 6–8.