Re: re: A man with no party, Nov. 7

0
Sean, in his response, explains that direct democracy would “grind to a halt under the weight of its own decision-making process.” The Kurds in the Syrian province of Rojava would disagree.  Rojava has emerged independent from the 2011 Syrian revolution and has created a remarkable democratic experiment. Popular assemblies are the ultimate decision-making bodies, comprised of councils that fairly represent the population. This is a model of change for a more egalitarian society.

It is undeniable that the current state of corporatist democracy needs to change. I contend that the Canadian state is an instrument to further the special interests of an elite political and wealthy segment of society. Looking at Canada’s actions past and present this becomes remarkably clear.

Canada is an aggressive, imperialist nation. We have been exploiting the Caribbean since the 1880s. In the 1990s we provided weapons to a genocidal Indonesian army during the massacre in East Timor. We helped overthrow the democratically elected Haitian government in February 2004, leading to the deaths of 8,000 people in its first 22 months. We consistently support the colonial state of Israel, including its invasion of Egypt and violations of international law as it strips Palestinians of political freedom and their basic human rights. This list is not comprehensive. Canada’s foreign policy advances its imperialism at the expense of many, for the benefit of a few.

Canadian mining companies exploit foreign capital, at the expense of the domestic populations and the environment, while enjoying almost no threat of legal action in Canada. Seventy-five per cent of the world’s mining companies are based in Canada. Vancouver-based Pacific Rim is suing the government of El Salvador for $315 million for stopping a mine that threatens to pollute the Lempa River. Congolese soldiers attacked the village of Kiwa, with logistical support provided by Montreal-based Anvil Mining. The systemic prioritization of profits over people continues.

Seventy-five per cent of Canadians are service-class employees; the working conditions of those who produce our consumer goods replicate conditions akin to slave labour. Corporations have systematically privileged capital over labour to the point where workers with no dignity leap off of the factories that employ them.

Canadian economic policy contributes to environmental destruction. Billions of dollars in subsidies, including tar-sands subsidies, artificially lower the price of fossil fuels, while at the same time species destruction is estimated to be at the rate it was 65 million years ago when an asteroid hit the planet and wiped out vast numbers of species. Treating the earth like an infinite resource and infinite landfill is essential to state sanctioned corporate capitalism’s infinite growth paradigm that must be stopped.

Canada’s current political and economic system is far from creating a fair, just, and equitable society. Between 2005 and 2012 the median net worth for the wealthiest 10 per cent of Canadians increased by 42 per cent while the poorest 10 per cent shrank by 150 per cent.

The above should be no surprise to anyone who has studied the inception of Canada. Canada is founded on violence, conquest, injustice, and oppression. Unlike all states, it was also founded on genocide and ethnocide. What does one really expect from such a nation?

Capitalist systems of economic privilege and monopoly need to be replaced with a system that meets the necessary requirements of every member of society. A de-centralized system comprised of federated communities that operate under the principles of voluntary association, mutual agreement, and free contract, based on free associations of people controlling their own fate could achieve this. Let’s create a better world together, with co-operation, not create more conflict through political parties who all clamour for power and control with divisive, atomizing ideologies and policies.

Brandon Love
3B Geomatics