Running all over the record book

0

The women’s track-and-field team downed a number of records at the CIS championships Mar. 6-8 at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, many of them their own. 

The Warriors were represented in Alberta by six women: Chantel Pilon, Tegan Sauer, Monica Januszek, Jenny Carrique, Naomi Lance, and Rachel Brown.Together, they made up the 4x200m and 4x400m relay teams, while Pilon also competed individually in the pentathlon.

The first event for the team was the 4x200m relay. Sauer, a first-year rec and leisure student started. She was followed by Januszek, a first-year environment and business student, and Carrique, a second-year honours math student. The team was anchored by Lance, a third-year studying therapeutic recreation.

They took third place in their heat behind Alberta and Windsor but ahead of Manitoba. Their time of 1:43.21s put them in 10th place overall, outside of the top eight finish — their previous place in the national rankings — which would allow for advancement. The relay was won the next day by York, with a 1:38.53s finish in the final.

Later, fifth-year science and business student Pilon performed her five pentathlon events, 60m hurdles, high jump, shot put, long jump, and an 800m run. With a time of 9.53s, Pilon finished the hurdles event in 12th place. Her personal best tying leap of 1.56m was ninth in the high jump. A fifth-place throw of 11.16m moved her up in the rankings, but fell back again with a 4.95m, 11th-place finish in the long jump.

Pilon entered the 800m in 12th place. She responded by cutting a second off her personal best for the event, crossing the line second in two minutes, 18 seconds. The third-place finisher was four seconds behind. The run broke her personal best for points from a single event, and her final score of 3,494 marks the third time in a row she has broken her own Waterloo record. She ended the pentathlon in fifth place.

Lance and Januszek reprised their roles in the 4x400m relay, running in the second and third slots. They were bookended by Pilon as starter, and third year fine arts student Rachel Brown anchored. Pilon ran 58.2s, followed by Lance with a personal best and a Waterloo second all-time 56.9s. Januszek and Brown both recorded personal bests with respective 57.7s and 57.6s runs. The team’s 3:52.01s overall time was good for sixth place and another varsity record.

The team finished 18th overall, a strong position considering that the winning men’s and women’s teams from York and Guelph, respectively, each had over 20 student athletes competing. Pilon has ran her last race as a Warrior, but graduates with an OUA gold and a host of records in her name. Lace, Januszek, Brown, Sauer, and Carrique are all set to return for next season and look to contend once again.