School of Optometry evacuates after suspected gas leak

The School of Optometry was evacuated at 7:30 on Wednesday morning after the smell of gas was detected in several rooms, resulting in the cancellation of several morning classes.

A UWPS officer on the scene told <em>Imprint:&nbsp;</em>&ldquo;It&rsquo;s a gas leak &hellip; I don&rsquo;t know how long it&rsquo;s going to be until the building&rsquo;s safe.&rdquo;

It was later reported on UW&rsquo;s official Twitter account that: &ldquo;[there was] no reason to suspect [a] natural gas leak. &ldquo;

In a statement to <em>Imprint&nbsp;</em>Nick Manning, Director of Media Relations and Issues Management said: &ldquo;Following an investigation by Waterloo Fire, a battery in a computer unit was found to be malfunctioning and emitting an odour. Some equipment was found to have a non-dangerous leak of some gasses, which have been isolated.&rdquo;

The fire department issued the all clear at 10:15 a.m., and the building opened with classes resuming shortly after.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.