Toxic players nerfed by new startup

0

The growth of online gaming has given birth to a number of new phrases and given new meaning to countless others.

“Toxic” is one common byword for an individual player who is ruining others’ in game experience with abuse, bad attitude, and harassment.

In online MOBA games like League of Legends or Dota 2 where players are often placed with five random teammates the chance of encountering a toxic player is high.

Wecasual seeks to remedy this problem, by providing players a team of supportive and respectful players with whom to play. Wecasual acts as a community that encourages such values as “playing for fun” and “embracing difference.”

Players are invited to join the group at pre-designated times each day in order to partake in games. But more than just playing together, members of Wecausal bond in pre and post game Discord chats.

Player can join as many or as few games as they’d like and are encouraged to have fun in a non-competitive environment.

There are no set teams so players will meet new people each time they play.

Founded by two Waterloo engineering students, Robert and James Graham-Hu, the startup already has over 100 players in its Dota 2 league and has recently moved to incorporate the most played game on earth, League of Legends.

Originally  Wecasual was intended for players with limited time for games; the assumption being that such players would most wish to avoid toxic experience ruining players. The team was surprised to discover that those who played more frequently were the actual early adopters.

The company’s founders have taken advantage of a variety of resources available at the University. They are currently on an e-coop work term which allows students to spend a co-op term working on their own business venture with support from the university.

They also enrolled in BET 300, a course dedicated to helping students who already have a business or business idea.

The founders stated that they found particular value in the lessons on value propositions and cold introductions which helped provide practical and much needed business skills.

The Wecasual team plans on putting these skills into practice during the annual Velocity Fund pitch contest in mid-November.