UW appoints new vice-president academic and provost

0
The University of Waterloo has just appointed a new vice-president academic and provost.

Prof. Ian Orchard is a highly accomplished and respected professor and senior administrator at the University of Toronto.

Orchard held the position of vice-president at the University of Toronto and principal of the University of Toronto Mississauga for eight years, during which he helped foster great developments for the UTM campus.

“His proven track record as a forward-thinking and engaged senior administrator and commitment to excellence makes Professor Orchard a natural choice as Waterloo’s next vice-president academic and provost,” Feridun Hamdullahpur said, expressing his excitement at having Orchard on board. “His breadth of talent and experience will support us in our efforts to becoming one of the top innovation universities in the world.”

In an email sent to UW students, faculty, and staff Jan. 7, Hamdullahpur commended Orchard’s abilities, stating: “With his rich diversity of experience as a researcher, teacher, and student-focused administrator, Ian brings immense value and talent to our administration. His contributions will be significant and highly valued.”

Orchard stated, “Waterloo has a well-deserved international reputation for innovation, extraordinary research, and a groundbreaking approach to entrepreneurship and co-operative education. I am looking forward to working with all segments of the university community to help Waterloo achieve the goals set out in its strategic plan and achieve its full potential as a world leader in higher education.”

The university has been searching for a new provost since January of last year, when Dr. Sallie Ann Keller stepped down from the position after seven months, citing personal reasons.

Orchard will succeed  interim provost Prof. Geoff Boyle. Orchard’s five-year term will begin July 2014.