Warriors cast in starring roles

0

All-star selections are rare. In most sports, only a few teams will have players chosen for the honour each year, meaning that most teams miss out. Even fewer players will receive the title. Though the Warriors have not taken home any championships in 2013–2014, the number of all-star selections among its players are a cause for celebration.

Though winter sports are currently wrapping up their seasons and announcing end of year honours, many varsity sports have been concluded for months. Their all-star selections were made throughout the year.

Both field hockey and football had one all-star apiece. The field hockey team had the definition of an up-and-down season. Their loss in the OUA championship final kicked off a five-game losing streak through the CIS championship, culminating in a dropped bronze medal game. Third-year forward Stephanie Snyder scored four goals on the season. Fourth year wide receiver Nick Anapolsky collected 683 receiving yards on his way to a second team all-star berth as the football team finished with a 1–7 season.

Tennis produced two all-stars, Vincent Chan, whose selection was his fourth and took the OUA silver medal and John Chan, who went undefeated during the regular season, also rookie of the year.

The rugby teams both had multiple selections. On the men’s side, fifth-year forward Alex Pedjase and third-year winger Charlie Feht each were named all-stars amidst their team’s disastrous 0–6–1 campaign. Fifth-year forward Renee Woodhouse, fourth-year scrum half Kourtney King, and third-year flanker Bryanna Bryans were all selected as the women’s team went 3–3.

Led by OUA individual women’s champion and first team all-star fourth-year Devon Rizzo, the golf team had a strong year with four selections. Gajan Sivabalasingham, in his third year was a first team all-star for the men, while third-year Daniel Wilson and third-year Jordan Bakhsh each took second team honours during a strong season.

The men’s hockey team had a disappointing season following a CIS championship appearance last year, but third-year defenceman Joe Underwood took home second team honours. Singular honours also went to Chantel Pilon of the track & field team, who captured OUA gold in pentathlon. Pilon, a fifth-year athlete, earned a first-team distinction and will lead the Warriors to the CIS track and field championships.

Both curling teams had strong years, but the men’s all-stars have not yet been announced. At this point, only the women’s team’s third-year skip Halyna Teplyo is an all-star, with her first team selection as they finished 6–6.

Squash was dominated by the Seth family for another year, as siblings third-year Cameron, and fourth-year Natasha were both named all-stars along with their respective OUA men’s and women’s player of the year honours.

The men’s volleyball team was bestowed with a host of honours. Fifth-years Jordan Dyck and James Evans each received second team all-star berths, while fellow graduate Scott Thomson took a first team title. The team’s 17–5 season was topped off by both OUA and CIS libero of the year titles for Erich Wooley.

The number of all-star selections for the Warriors have been encouraging for their teams and coaches, but the biggest hopes for Waterloo varsity sports come from first-years. There were more than a few all-rookie, and rookie of the year selections for Waterloo athletes. Their selections, and the future of their teams, will be discussed in next week’s issue of Imprint.