Warriors dedicate season to Tyler Norrie

0
This week the Waterloo Warriors men’s hockey team announced plans to honour fallen member Tyler Norrie, who passed away unexpectedly June 3 in his hometown of Simcoe, ON.

Norrie had just completed his first year with the Warriors as a walk-on after three years in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League with the Caledonia Corvairs. He scored three goals during nine games in his first season as a Warrior, the first of which came against the cross-town rival Laurier Golden Hawks Jan. 28.

Norrie finished his second year of study in geography and environment and could often be seen studying around QNC. While education may have been important to Tyler, there was always something which he held in high regard: hockey.

“Hockey was his passion,” said his father, Duncan Norrie. “It’s great to see that so many organizations, especially the Warriors, recognize that.”

Norrie spoke fondly of the Warriors and their outpouring support for the Norrie family since Tyler’s passing. “That whole organization has baffled me from the moment this happened. They really are a first class, world class organization.”

Warriors’ head coach Brian Bourque has played an important role in maintaining contact between the Warriors and the Norrie family. “Brian has been so inclusive of us this entire time,” Norrie commented. Bourque, along with several members of the team, attended Tyler’s funeral.

“It was at the funeral that I told Brian that ‘everything you’ve done for us has just been incredible,’” Norrie said.

Norrie further commented that he couldn’t believe all of the support coming from the team given Tyler’s relatively short time there.

“They’re doing all this for Tyler and he only played one year there,” he said.

Given Tyler’s character, skill, hard work, and dedication to the game he so loved, there’s a good chance he would have become a mainstay in the Warriors’ lineup in the years to come.

“You would have loved him if he could have stayed there even longer,” Norrie said. 

The patch the team plans to make features Norrie’s bold number 16 over black and white chevrons on a yellow background. The patch also displays the words, “Warriors live forever.” The team has planned a special opening night ceremonial tribute to Norrie Oct. 2 when they face off against the Brock Badgers.

“It’s tough right now that it’s hockey season,” said Norrie of Tyler’s absence, “But when they asked us to do this ceremony, we were so honoured. I’d be there in a heartbeat.”

Norrie, as well as Tyler’s mother Karen and his sister Lindsay have all been invited to take part in this ceremonial puck drop.