Warriors drop a close one at home

0
The Waterloo Warriors took their first loss of the season Oct. 10 against 2013–14’s Queen’s Cup champions Windsor Lancers 3–2. The loss was not due to lack of trying, but rather an impressive performance in goal by Parker Van Buskirk, who stopped 32-of-34 shots sent his way on the evening.
After a scoreless first period the Lancers would eventually beat Warriors keeper Mike Morrison, former teammate of Van Buskirk’s in the OHL with the Kitchener Rangers. Matt Beaudoin beat Marrison on a Windsor power play for the lone tally of the second period.

Early on in the third period the Lancers would score again. Paul Bezzo called for the puck at the point; upon receiving it, he put it past Morrison to give the Lancers a 2–0 lead. Now it appeared as though the Warriors had a mountain to climb in order to even the score, as they just couldn’t beat Van Buskirk.

Surprisingly in under two minutes the Warriors would climb the proverbial mountain by getting two quick goals by Van Buskirk in order to draw even.

Andrew Smith would cut the Lancers’ lead in half, putting a Justin Larson rebound by Van Buskirk for his third goal in as many games. The goal would not come easy, as Van Buskirk reached behind himself in a dying effort, getting a piece of the puck with his stick, but not quite enough to stop it.

Colin Behenna would score the equalizer on the power play through Van Buskirk’s five hole, becoming the third Warrior to earn their third goal on the season in three games along with Smith and Matt Kennedy.

Surprisingly both of Waterloo’s goals came down low on Van Buskirk who had been playing phenomenally in that area with great lateral movements all night, stopping the Warriors attackers dead in their tracks a number of times through the first two periods.

Saverio Posa would score the go ahead goal for the Lancers to put them up 3–2 on a shot deflected by Morrison in the last five minutes of play. The Warriors would pull their goalie for the extra attacker but were unable to put any of several good scoring chances by Van Buskirk, and took their first loss of the season.

Warriors’ goalie Mike Morrison had a strong showing in his third consecutive start stopping 24 shots and was on point with his glove hand all game.

The Warriors will be back in action at home  Oct. 18 when they face off against the Western Mustangs.