Warriors dropped by Windsor

0
The Waterloo Warriors played a close game against the Windsor Lancers Nov. 1 at the Columbia Icefield, but were edged by the Lancers 5–3 who swept the season series two games to zero.
Windsor wasted no time getting on the scoreboard just over two minutes into the contest after Jenny MacKnight put the shot by Warriors netminder Rebecca Bouwhuis to take the lead on the power play. Candice Chevalier added to the Lancers lead just before the halfway point of the first period on a feed from Danielle Butler.

Warriors captain Kaitlyn McDonell launched a puck top shelf on a rebound over the sprawled out Lancer goalie Marissa Kozovski to cut the Lancers lead in half, with only 35 seconds remaining in the first period. The goal was McDonell’s first of the 2014–15 season.

Waterloo scored their own quick goal to start the second period to tie things at two. Stephanie Digness took a pass from defensive partner Michelle Tanel and went end to end with it before an impressive shot, picking the short side top corner over the shoulder of Kozovski on the power play. Digness has been known for her cannon from the point on the power play but on this day showed she can also snipe with the best. Goaltender Rebecca Bouwhuis also picked up an assist on the goal. The goal was the lone marker for the second period.

The third period started with a quick goal from Lancer’s Larissa Borowiec. Warriors Captain McDonell went to work again potting another behind Kozovski for her second of the game and the season to once again knot the score.

Windsor took their third lead of the game after another Candice Chevalier goal on a strange play. Chevalier intended to pass the puck in front of the net from in the corner, but the puck hit the heel of Bouwhuis’ stick and just squeaked over the goal line for a 4–3 lead.

Waterloo pulled their goalie for the advantage on the ice, but it was short lived as Waterloo took a penalty in the last two minutes and now had to pull the goalie just to have an even five-on-five.

Erin Noseworthy slid home an empty netter to ice the game for the Lancers by a final score of 5–3.

Waterloo will be in action again Nov 8. as they take on the 10th-place Ryerson Rams at home in Columbia Icefield.