Warriors kill a nagging itch, finally down Western

0
The regular season horse has finally been broken. For the first time since Oct. 8, 2009 the Warriors defeated the Western Mustangs in the regular season by a score of 4–3. During the last five years, Waterloo has gone 0–8–2 against Western during the regular season. Both teams entered with identical 3–1 records. Waterloo emerged victorious and moved into second place in the OUA West behind the 5–0 undefeated Windsor Lancers.

Western found the net first in the opening period off a Noah Schwartz tip-in goal. Waterloo captain Joe Underwood evened up the score with a deadly wrist shot shortly after. Julian Cimadamore was the second Mustang to put a puck by Warriors keeper and former Kitchener Rangers teammate Mike Morrison for the final goal of the first period and a 2–1 Western lead.

Riley Sonnenburg evened the scoring for Waterloo making the score 2–2. Before the end of the second period, the Mustangs scored again in the final minute of play. Stefan Salituro stepped out front, faking the initial shot, on which Morrison bit, and then picked the top right corner with what little space he had for the 3–2 lead. An exciting and tense third period followed.

The Warriors came out flying in the third. Chris Chappell scored a quick goal in the first two minutes of the frame to once again tie the game for the Warriors, erasing their third consecutive one goal deficit of the game. Less than two minutes after that, Justin Larson scored again for the Warriors, earning their first lead of the game 4–3.

Unfortunately there’s no double jeopardy practised in hockey and in the remaining seven minutes of the game, Warriors Brett Mackie and Colin Behenna were both called for slashing penalties on the same play. The Warriors had to kill off a rare, full two-minute five-on-three against a Western team which earned three of their four goals on the powerplay against Ryerson just two days prior.

Strong play from Morrison, as well as some strong defensive plays, allowed the Warriors to escape the two-man disadvantage unscathed. Western pulled their goalie, Greg Dodds, for the extra attacker with 1:40 left, but were again unable to score on the man advantage.

The Larson game winning goal was the second in as many days as he also scored the game winner against York on Friday in a 3–2 victory.

The Warriors are the first team to break the Western penalty kill, coming into this game 100 per cent, putting two past Dodds.

The Warriors will be an action again at home Oct. 25 when they take on the Ryerson Rams.