Warriors out shot in shootout

0
The Waterloo Warriors 2014–15 women’s hockey season started much in the same way that the 2013–14 campaign started, though it ended with a much different result. Instead of a 4–3 Waterloo overtime victory, the Nipissing Lakers, in their second year of OUA competition, claimed a 2–1 shootout victory on Wednesday.

The game was a physical contest, both teams took many physical liberties with each other in front of the official without drawing any penalties. Once that had been established, the hitting — which typically isn’t seen in women’s hockey as it’s usually a penalty — really opened up.

The Lakers were the first to find the scoreboard after Sam Strassburger found the net at 6:03 of the second period. The Warriors would even the score on a powerplay goal at 14:32 of the second period. Rachel Marriott, 2013–14’s OUA rookie of the year, would tip Stephanie Digness’ point shot to beat Picard. Both Digness and Marriott were members of last year’s OUA All-Rookie team.

A scoreless third period and overtime would lead to a shootout. The Warriors would fail to score in the shootout, while Brooklynn Kallusky and Bronwyn Bolduc would both beat Bouwhuis up high, winning the shootout in the second round and claiming their first win of the season by a score of 2–1.

Both goaltenders put on spectacular displays, and both were equally deserving of the win. The Warriors had their own anchor in their goaltender Bouwhuis, but they knew full well the kind of play Lakers goaltender Sabrina Picard is capable of, which she showed the Warriors in their second last home game of the 2013–14 season. While the Warriors did win that game 3–0, Picard put on a goaltending clinic, making several highlight reel saves during a game where Nipissing was severely outplayed.

Picard once again proved she is an incredible goaltender making several unbelievable stops, the most impressive of which was a split glove save against the Warriors’ Siobhan Hewitt-Kenda on a breakaway during a delayed penalty in OT.

Rebecca Bouwhuis also put up great numbers, stopping 20 of 21 shots faced, including several of her own highlight reel saves, and recorded an impressive save percentage of .955 and a goals-against average of 0.92.

The Warriors will travel to Windsor Oct. 10 to play the Lancers in the first of a series of away games before returning to Columbia Icefield to play the same Lancers Nov. 1.<br />
&nbsp;