Warriors whacked in loss to Laurier

0
Another chapter in the Battle of Waterloo on University Avenue came to a close Sept. 13 as the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks defeated the Waterloo Warriors 44–0.

Laurier improves to 2–1 on the season, earning their first victory at University Stadium under sophomore head coach Michael Faulds, while the Warriors move to 0–3.

Waterloo has been outscored 110–0 in their last two games. Their last score came from a Caleb Girard field goal in the third quarter of the season opener against the Carleton Ravens.

The two players-only meetings the Warriors held following the previous Saturday’s loss to the McMaster Marauders appeared to be working in the opening quarter as the defence was quick to get behind the Golden Hawks front line and stop the run game.

“We definitely had a strong start to the first part of the game,” said head coach Marshall Bingeman. “But as the game wore on we started to miss some tackles and some key assignments, a product of our depth and youth.”

The Warriors held the Golden Hawks to 10 points in the first quarter.

And while the Warriors may have held the Golden Hawks to just 10 points on the board, trying to contain fourth-year standout running back Dylan Campbell proved to be much more difficult as Campbell ran for 80 yards in just the first quarter.

Campbell, the cover athlete of the 2014 OUA media guide, would go on to record 204 yards on the ground through 27 carries, making good for his second consecutive 200+ yard game.

Brendan Conway led the Warriors’ defence with eight solo tackles, while right behind him was Greg Zaitz, who added seven solo tackles and one assist to his totals, climbing the OUA defensive leaderboards and improving to third in the league in total tackles.

Golden Hawk kicker Ronnie Pfeffer also had a big day, tying a school record with five field goals in a game, the longest of which came in from the 50-yard line and set a school record and personal record.

He just missed a sixth field goal from the 51-yard line, which had the distance to make it through the uprights but was just a few notices wide.

Starting quarterback Jamie Cook missed the game due to injury, giving the start to freshman Lucas McConnell.

McConnell made 20 completions on 41 attempts, picking up 207 passing yards.

“It was good that our 18-year-old freshman quarterback was able to get in the game and show us what he could do,” said Bingeman.

The Warriors use Sundays to review game film. Bingeman commented that the team had a healthy film review session following the loss to Laurier.

“The guys saw where errors were made and have a better understanding of assignments,” he said.

The receiving tandem of Mike Dedys and Christian Lewis have done well to fill the void that graduating receiver Nic Anapolsky (the OUA’s all-time leader for receptions in a single season with 74) has left behind in their first three games of the season.

After three games last season, Anapolsky earned 272 yards on 25 receptions. Dedys and Lewis have 31 receptions, good for 261 yards between them.

Not far behind are receivers Paul Cecile and Cody Tapsell while sophomore receiver Adam Felinczak has also showed spots of brilliance downfield.

Out of the 11 teams in OUA football this season, the Warriors rank last or second last over the York University Lions in every offensive metric.

On defence, the Warriors compare similarily unfavourably. They have one sack in three games, have conceeded 47.7 points per game. Their only high rank is holding opponents to 220.3 passing yards per game, good for fourth place.

The Warriors will be in action again Sept. 20 as they host the Windsor Lancers.