With offence like this…

0
The Warriors rolled over the Brock Badgers 9–5 in a wild-scoring away game Friday, Jan. 3.  Eleven Warriors tallied points and only one scored twice for the team in the puck-sharing affair. Third year forward, and 2012–2013 CIS scoring leader Justin Larson led the team in points with a goal and three assists, while current 2013-2014 CIS scoring leader Chris Chappell scored his 16th goal in as many games.

With a goal by second year forward Brett Mackie at 3:43 into the first quarter, the Warriors took the lead and never relinquished it. Jarred Parent ripped another past Badgers goalie Dalton McGrath at 12:29 for his first goal of the season and to leave the Warriors up 2–0 as they skated off the ice for the first intermission. In the first frame, the Warriors had outshot the Badgers 16–8. McGrath was replaced by Adrian Volpe to start the second.

Waterloo opened the second period scoring with a goal from Waterloo native and former OUA All-Rookie forward Colin Behenna at 7:01, the first of his three points in the game. Brock answered back three minutes later to close the gap to 3–1 on a C.J. Dickinson goal; from that point on the scoring opened up.

The Warriors offence went off, scoring four goals in just over five minutes. Mackie recorded his second goal and Larson his fourth point of the night. At 15:21, 30 seconds into the power play off a slashing call on Brock’s Johnson Andrews, the Warriors’ Andy Smith netted another.

Seconds after the power play goal, Warrior Ryan Molle picked up a hooking penalty, giving Brock one of their five man-advantages of the game. Instead of surrendering a goal, the Warriors’ penalty kill forced an opportunity, allowing Chris Chappell to collect number 16 for the season while the team was shorthanded. The Warriors finished the second up 7–1, having shot at the net 16 more times to Brock’s nine.

Though the Warriors appeared to carry their momentum into the third, with an early goal from third year forward Anthony Tapper, they started giving up goals at an alarming rate. The Badgers sent three past Warriors goalie Mike Morrison in a span of less than three minutes, making the game 8–4 and Morrison’s once sterling save percentage drop precipitously. One more goal from Brock defenceman Dan Tanel, his first of 2013-2014, put the Badgers back in contention.

Hoping to capitalize on the Warriors’ stagnant defence, the Badgers pulled Volpe for a sixth skater. Instead, Warriors defenceman Joe Underwood notched his third point of the night with an empty-netter. The lopsided and high-scoring victory gave the Warriors their third win in a row, bringing them back up to .500 on the season.

When asked about the number of goals given up in the third period, Warriors head coach Brian Bourque sung praises of the Badgers’ drive and competitiveness, and suggested that the Warriors might have relaxed in the third after building such a lead.

“Brock is a team that always competes, and I mentioned to the guys in the [locker] room that there’s no way they were gonna quit. I think, naturally we came down a little bit,” said Bourque. “The temptation to try to score nine is probably not as firm. So I think the combination of us probably coming down just a little bit and they probably revved it up more than they had.”

The Warriors look to continue their streak at home on Friday at 7:30 against OUA West rivals York, who have dropped two in a row to sit at 8–8. They then challenge the formidable 12–5 Ryerson Rams in Toronto at the former Maple Leaf Gardens at 2:30 on Saturday.