2013 Student Services Survey results call for more services present on campus

0
Results of Feds’ 2013 Student Services Survey were presented at the Students’ Council meeting Jan. 12. The survey ran from Nov. 4 – 15, 2013 and an estimated 2,600 completed submissions were received.

Students were asked if they felt adequate support was being received from Feds’ student-run services ­­— including, the Campus Response Team (CRT), Feds Food Bank, The Glow Centre for Sexual and Gender Diversity, Off-Campus Community, Sustainable Campus Initiative, and the Women’s Centre.

A majority of students agreed that these services were doing a good job of supporting students, except in the case of the Off-Campus Community and the Sustainable Campus Initiative, both of which only received 35 per cent positive feedback.

Devin Drury, VP Internal, who presented the data, stated that the survey revealed a strong desire for there to be more volunteer opportunities around campus, and that many students felt Feds’ presence was not strong particularly in the residences. In response to these comments, Drury suggested that Students’ Council work to create a “more personal presence” within residences.

Results also reveal concerns about cliques being formed within student services, making it difficult for people to approach these groups. Glow and the Off-Campus Community in particular are cited many times as being “cliquey.” Drury stressed that this issue be taken in front of the board and that improvements be made to ensure all services are inclusive.

Sixty-six per cent of students are strongly in support of having a Walk Safe program on campus, but when asked if they would be willing to volunteer students gave a mixed response with nearly a 33 per cent split between “yes,” “no,” and “unsure.”

Finally, most students feel that “student empowerment” is the number one area Feds needs to provide better support. Second to that is environmental awareness, followed by advocacy, cultural support, then “other” (responses which included academic/financial support, school spirit, and mental health).

These responses will likely be taken into consideration by candidates as Feds heads into elections.