Waterloo comes out even against Brock at Warrior Field

The Waterloo Warriors couldn’t hold on to the victory in the last minutes of the match against the Brock Badgers during the fourth game of their season, but still managed to grab their first point with a tied score of 1–1 Sept. 13.

Waterloo came out strong early in the game, creating a couple of opportunities against the Badgers that ended up missing the net. In the first 10 minutes of the match, Waterloo was in total control of the game. Third-year midfielder Nicholas Karavanas opened the score at the 15 minute mark with an individual break that defeated Brock goalie Jake Sweetzer and gave the Warriors the advantage for the rest of the first half.

The Warriors led 1–0 for most of the first half thanks to the fast reflexes of their goalkeeper, second-year Thomas Modjesch, who prevented the Badgers from scoring on six occasions. The Warriors kept the scoring under control for the remainder of the first half. Individual plays by second-year striker Yusuf Khaled and a free kick by fifth-year Stuart Mackie almost gave the Warriors a two-goal advantage.

In the second half, both teams challenged each other constantly, resulting in a physical battle between both squads. During the first minute of the second half, Khaled missed an opportunity on a push against Brock’s goalkeeper. For the remainder of the second half, Brock had three key scoring opportunities that could not beat Modjesch, who collected a total a nine saves in the match.

The Badgers kept the Warriors under pressure well into the extra time, in which Brock’s #26 Philip Kealey scored a 25-yard shot into the top corner of Modjesch giving the Badgers the equalizing goal making it 1–1.

The Warriors went on to face the McMaster Marauders on Sunday, a game in which they lost 4–0. The Warriors will face the York Lions  Sept. 19 at Warrior Field. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.