Whether you’re new on campus or are about to graduate, you’re probably familiar with the two most popular W Store clothing items: sweatpants and sweaters. Perfect for throwing on before a morning lecture, these ultra-comfy pieces are the definition of convenient — but they can be stylish too. We’re here with some tips on how to style these classic UW pieces without looking like a walking ad.
Before we begin … a few dos and don’ts
DON’T show off other schools’ merch on campus – Unless you’re looking for attention, try not to promote the competition (especially if you’re attending a sports game).
DO buy colours/styles that you like – Waterloo’s official colours may be black and gold, but the W Store offers a whole rainbow of clothing to explore. Buy items that you’ll actually enjoy wearing, whether that be classic black sweatpants or a baby pink hoodie.
DON’T dress head-to-toe in university merch – Having UW pride is great, but you don’t want to conceal your own sense of style. We suggest keeping it to one or two merch pieces per outfit.
DO add accessories – As with anything, UW clothing will pop more when you pair it with jewellery, hair accessories, or matching shoes. Even a simple gold necklace would look great against a solid-coloured faculty sweater. Accessories are also a great option if you’re looking for a more subtle approach to school pride: lanyards, face masks, hats, and more are available at the W Store.
Styling UW sweatpants
- Balance out your look by pairing oversized sweats with a tank top, fitted tee, or crop top.
- Add a pop of colour to the classic UW sweats by wearing them with a bright shirt or sneakers.
- For the ultimate business-casual look, pair your Waterloo joggers with a casual blazer or button down.
Styling UW sweaters
- Channel Princess Diana’s iconic street style by pairing an oversized UW crewneck with bike shorts.
- Add layers by wearing a fitted turtleneck or collared blouse underneath your hoodie.
- Tie the sleeves of a UW sweater around your shoulders for an ultra-preppy look.
- Tennis skirts are the ultimate preppy staple, but pairing a sweater and ankle-length skirt is a great fall option.
- If you’re looking to dress up your faculty sweatshirt, look no further than adding a simple blazer and straight-leg jeans.
- As the cold weather hits, add a jacket for some extra warmth (jean, puffer — the choice is yours). Vogue predicts the black trench coat will be the fall item, so why not pair one with a Warriors hoodie? Long coat and sweater combos have already dominated recent runways from Miu Miu to Givenchy, so you’ll be in good company if you give this pairing a try.
Hopefully you’re feeling inspired to try out some new looks this year — we’re sure you’ll make Ring Road your catwalk in no time.