WISC conducting funding for Pow Wow

0

The Waterloo Indigenous Student Centre (WISC) held a bake sale on Sept. 18 at United College to fundraise for the upcoming 20th annual Pow Wow on Sept. 23 at Columbia Icefield. There are also fundraising raffles happening at WISC everyday until Sept. 22, and winners will be drawn live at the Pow Wow. 

According to Emma Smith, UW’s Indigenous Student Centre program coordinator, this is the first Pow Wow being held on UW’s main campus. In previous years, including during pandemic lockdowns, the event has been held online and at Waterloo Park, with attendance averaging around 1,500 people. 

The event is an Indigenous cultural celebration that includes traditional dancing and singing. According to Smith, there will be Grass Dancers, Jingle Dress Dancers, and a Hoop Dancer, along with about 60 vendors selling Indigenous jewelry and food. The event is free for UW students who provide student ID and is also open to the public with an admission fee of $5 or eight canned donations. The grand entry starts at noon, where head elders will bring in Eagle Staffs with flags. Indigenous people attending the event will have free entry. 

For more information about the Pow Wow and fundraising events, you can check out the WISC Instagram and Facebook page.