First-year frequently asked questions: Answers to your most pressing questions

Carla Stocco

| September 3, 2024

Uncertainty, fear, disorientation — feelings every student wandering on campus today experienced in their first year of university. Whether you’re heading to university straight after graduating high school, getting back into studies after a break or transferring to UW, there are plenty of questions that arise as you prepare for classes this fall. You can take comfort in knowing that every other incoming student before you also had a million questions running through their mind but many of them went on to do great things during their time at UW and after graduation, and so can you! We’ve compiled a list of first-year students’ burning questions so you can get a head start on getting to know the UW campus and all it has to offer.

FAQ: I don’t understand the difference between WatIAM, Quest, Learn — and what’s DUO 2FA? 

WatIAM is used to manage account settings, including your username and password. The WatIAM password is the same as your password for all other accounts, so logging into WatIAM to set up a password recovery email is a great idea! Quest is UW’s student information system, where you can view program applications, course selection, class schedules, grades, and set yourself up for ‘Fees Arranged’ status for the term. Learn is where you can view and access course material posted by your instructors and submit assignments. DUO 2-factor authentication adds a second layer of security to your accounts. You will be prompted with a push notification on your phone, (if using the app) or receive a text code to enter and then be approved access to the website. The IST Service Desk offers free technical support and assistance on these matters, from guiding you to set up WatIAM accounts to making changes and enrolling in DUO 2-factor authentication. You can find the IST Service Desks located on the main floors of the Dana Porter Library and the Davis Centre Library, and at the front desk of Village 1 residence. You can also get in touch with them over email (helpdesk@uwaterloo.ca) or by phone (519-888-4567, ext. 44357).

FAQ: What can I do with a WatCard and how do I get one?

The WatCard serves as your primary piece of student identification, your debit card for on-campus food purchases (if you’ve added funds to the card), your U-Pass that allows full-time students to take unlimited rides on the GRT bus and light rail systems, your library card, and your gym pass. After completing the application process for your WatCard and picking it up at Needles Hall (in the WatCard Office), you can add funds to your card as meal plan money or Flex Dollars (which can be used at on and off-campus vendors accepting WatCards).

FAQ: What’s an academic advisor and how can they help me?

Remember your high school guidance counselor? Think of your academic advisor as someone similar, but with specific knowledge on your program, course requirements, specialization options, and general go-to person for undergraduate education planning. Each faculty and program has a different set of assigned advisors, the contact details of whom can be found by searching your program name or the name of your academic advisor on the UW website.

FAQ: Where can I go to workout?

Ready to workout any lingering first year nerves and get those endorphins pumping? The Physical Activities Complex (better known as PAC), is located at the heart of the UW campus, making it a convenient spot for a sweat sesh. WatCards are used to gain entry into the facility (if you forget your WatCard, you are allowed in without the card once per term). Free day-use lockers are available, though you must bring your own lock, or you can rent a locker for the term by visiting the front desk. Full size lockers at PAC are $39 + HST per term or half-size for $28.50 + HST per term. At PAC, you’ll find weight machines, free weights, ellipticals, air bikes, treadmills, battle ropes, pull-up bars, and nearly anything else you can think of! Still not enough? PAC also boasts a climbing wall and swimming pool or you can head to UW’s second gym, Columbia Icefield (CIF), to access more squat racks, cardio equipment, an ice rink, and a full-length football field. Download the Warrior Rec app for the most up-to-date facility operating hours and program offerings.

FAQ: What are some good study spots on-campus?

Of course, the libraries at UW are likely top-of-mind for most students looking for an accessible, quiet study location. Don’t mind a little background noise? The Student Life Centre (SLC) has many tables and nooks and corners for students to lounge and study. The Quantum Nano Centre (QNC) building has tables overlooking the Peter Russell Rock Garden and lecture rooms in many buildings, such as Hagey Hall or the Science Teaching Complex (STC), can be used as study locations when not in use.

FAQ: How many libraries are on campus? How do I sign out books?

There are two main libraries on-campus. If you’re studying or living near Renison, the Lusi Wong Library is another, much smaller library located in the Renison building. St. Jerome’s also has its own library! Most UW students would point you to either Dana Porter (DP) library or the Davis Centre (DC) library. Both locations have countless books and journals available for signing out (both in-person and online access through UW library portal Omni), desktop computers, and plenty of study spaces. DP boasts five floors dedicated as study areas: floors 7 and 8 for silent study, 6 and 9 for quiet study, while the 10th floor is equipped with group study tables. A quick Google search of ‘book a study room UW’ should bring up the online booking portal for individual and group study rooms at DP and DC, or you can book a room through a librarian.

FAQ: Where can I go for support for myself or for a friend?

The transition to university life can be difficult. Even the brightest, most sociable students can find themselves struggling in the face of such novelty and competing academic deadlines. You’re never alone — UW has countless mental health resources and people who can help. Looking to book an individual or group counseling session? Contact Campus Wellness to book your visit at 519-888-4096. Another option is Empower Me, a virtual, confidential mental wellness line available to students 24/7. Upon creating an account on UW’s Student Care website, you are granted quick access to professionals who can assist with issues ranging from depression, financial struggles, relationships issues or food insecurity. In situations where yourself or others are unsafe, UW Special Constable Services offers emergency services on campus 24/7 at 519-888-4911. Before feelings of anxiety or stress overwhelm you, consider joining a club or sports team to meet like-minded individuals and build your community.

Feeling more confident in your ability to enjoy and thrive at university? It’s important to be gentle with yourself as you settle into your classes this fall. Get to know life on-campus! The people you’ll meet will help you grow and your time at UW will enable you to develop skills, be it resiliency or study habits, that you’ll come to use in every facet of life.

Share this story

More

• Campus News

Students rally to demand divestment: “All out against UW’s complicity”

Mariam Naim

| September 25, 2024

• Sports & Health

Warriors recap

Justin Gec

| September 25, 2024

• Sports & Health

The battle of Waterloo: The Waterloo Warriors fall to Laurier Golden Hawks on homecoming weekend

Humreet Sandhu

| September 23, 2024

• Campus News, Local News, News

Late night bus loop begins running, reinstated after a successful campaign

Sarah An

| September 22, 2024