Tips and tricks to navigate UW

Imprint Staff

| September 3, 2024

Attending university for the first time can feel like an overwhelming experience. The team here at Imprint is happy to help. Here are some tips and tricks from our spring term staff writers that will help to better navigate your first year at UW:

Andie Kaiser, fourth year majoring in English language and literature: One of the most helpful skills I’ve developed throughout university has been the ability to create a good schedule. A noticeable difference between high school and university courses is the sheer volume of assignments. Don’t let that scare you though, many of them are small! Regardless of the size, however, it’s important to keep track of due dates. In my very first term, I brought a dry-erase calendar into my dorm, and it was super helpful to have a big, visual reminder of every important date. But the best strategy I’ve found has been to create assignment trackers for each course: basically a very long to-do list of every reading, discussion post, or test throughout the term. I started by making these lists on Google Sheets, and have since moved to Notion. Any program works, though — even just sheets of paper with checkboxes! If you’re feeling really eager, I recommend creating daily (or weekly) to-do lists, so that those lengthy course trackers don’t feel so daunting. I find that this system, in combination with my physical calendar and the assignment reminders I set on my phone, has been a game changer when it comes to staying on top of work.

Bella McKenzie, graduate of honours arts co-op program, majoring in psychology: Something I wish I had known in my first year at UW was to practice answering interview questions beforehand. Being in a co-op program, I had many interviews to complete over my school career but I was nervous talking to new people in my first year, so interviews were stressful. While I did write down my answers to possible interview questions beforehand, I wish I had done mock interviews with friends or family members as well. That way, I could get more comfortable in an interview setting. I’d highly recommend this for any new co-op students. The more you practice interviews, the better and more confident you’ll get. It will also show your potential employer that you know your stuff! 

Christiano Choo, third year majoring in honours science program: Get a diffuser from Walmart if you don’t want your dorm/room to smell bad. Rent the mini-fridge unless you’re certain you can move a mini-fridge into your next abode. The first couple of weeks will be the easiest to make new friends. Note that most of these people will not stay your friends and that’s okay. UW and WUSA offer many campus jobs that pay well and have some flexible hours, such as tutors, news reporters, and personal trainers. Do your research and reap the rewards. You’ll either gain a lot of weight or lose a lot and if you don’t want that to happen, track your calories and stay active at open recreation times, at the gym, the climbing wall, and so forth. You can check the Warrior Recreation website for sports programs and fitness activity schedules. Don’t be afraid to make a mistake or try something new and make time to create great memories. Appreciate every day as time passes quickly after your first year. 

Janelle Gunaratnam, graduate of honours arts program: Take your time and don’t rush through university. It may sound surprising, but your undergraduate years will fly by faster than you expect. Join as many clubs, councils, and intramural teams as you can reasonably manage, and take full advantage of the vast network of people and resources available to you. Over the next few years, you’ll encounter countless opportunities, so be fully present and ready to seize them. Say yes to new experiences, embrace change, and don’t hesitate to ask for help when you’re unsure. There are so many people whose sole purpose is to help you succeed. Oh, and if you’re in residence during your first year, don’t forget to bring a water filter. Good luck!

Justin Gec, graduate of legal studies and business program: Coming to university can be intimidating, to say the least. The number one thing that I wish I knew in my first year was that there are so many clubs and so many ways to get involved. Regardless of your interests, I can say with the utmost confidence that you will find someone or some grouping of people that share the same interest. It is almost a guarantee that by getting involved in whichever way that fits your interests or beliefs, your university and first-year experience will be enhanced. WUSA has over 200 clubs to choose from, and if there isn’t a club that fits your interest, you can start your own. The best advice I could offer to any first-year student is this: don’t be a stranger, join a club and get involved! 

Mariam Naim, second year majoring in economics: Don’t stress on making friends. I was incredibly worried during orientation because I thought I wasn’t going to be able to make friends. I wasn’t able to find anyone during orientation to be friends with, which made my worries worse. But when I entered my first class, I was able to find people to talk to and be friends with pretty quickly. I think it’s easier to make friends in classes because you already have something in common — you are taking this class together. Everyone is new, so they’re all in the same boat, looking for new people to meet and become friends with. Also, joining clubs is a great way to make friends. WUSA has so many clubs, so make sure to join some as it will really help explore your interests as well. You’ll learn so much about yourself as time passes in university, and you’ll have friends with you along for the ride!

Share this story

More

• Campus News

Flu vaccine now available to high risk individuals

Veronica Reiner

| October 16, 2024

• Arts & Life

If there was no Mr. Goose, who would take his place at the UW mascot?

Mariam Naim

| October 14, 2024

• Campus News

RAISE holds XChanges Conference 2024

Humreet Sandhu

| October 12, 2024

• Campus News

What’s open and closed Thanksgiving long weekend and reading week

Humreet Sandhu

| October 11, 2024