Warrior women’s hockey team secure two wins at home

0

The Warriors women’s hockey team picked up where they left off at the end of last year with two wins this past weekend. On Friday the Warriors hosted the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks and had a comfortable 4-1 victory at CIF. On Saturday the Queen’s Gaels gave the Warriors a more significant challenge, forcing the game into overtime, where Carley Olivier gave the black and gold the win. Olivier’s overtime winner capped off an impressive weekend where she racked up 3 goals and an assist. The performance earned her the female Warriors athlete of the week award. 

The back-to-back weekend wins put the Warriors at 13-3-0 for the season, a record that has them top of the OUA West with 35 points. The Warriors strong performance this season is also reflected in the OUA stats where the Warriors’ Leah Herrfort leads the scoring race with 10 goals as well as topping the overall points chart with 23 points. Tatum James follows closely with 22 points, making it a one-two for the Warriors at the top of the point chart. James is also the assist leader this season with 14 assists. 

Up next the Warriors take a trip on Friday to St. Catherines to face the Badgers, one of the three teams that have beaten them this season. They then return to CIF to face the Nipppising Lakers at 7 p.m. on Saturday.