A roast wrapped with love

0

When I think of the perfect date, I think of a beautiful roast made and enjoyed with the person you love. There is something heartwarming about cooking and eating with the people you love. In that moment, there is nothing in this world but you and that person — and I hope this roast brings that feeling to you. Happy Valentine’s Day. 

Tools 

2 mixing bowls (1 large and 1 medium) 

A sheet pan 

Aluminium foil 

A pair of tongs 

Ingredients 

Vegetables of choice (salted and peppered), e.g., string beans, brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, etc. 

Chicken:

6 chicken thighs 

1-2 tsp of paprika/smoked paprika 

2 tsp of onion powder 

1 ½ tsp of honey

1 tbsp of oil (depending on how fatty your thighs are) 

4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped) 

Salt 

Black pepper 

Potatoes:

Half a bag of mini potatoes (halved) 

1 tbsp of oil 

Salt 

Black pepper 

Rosemary, thyme, and parsley (if fresh, finely chopped and 2 tsp each; if dry, 1 tsp each)

Instructions 

Preheat the oven to 425 F°. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine potatoes, herbs, oil, salt, and black pepper. Gently toss the potatoes. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken thighs and its seasonings. Massage the seasoning mixture into the chicken. In a sheet pan, lay out the chicken, potatoes, and vegetables separately. Make sure the chicken is spaced out, leaving enough room for the fat to melt and cook the chicken (about an inch apart). Cook the vegetables for about 20 minutes, and the potatoes and chicken for 30-40 minutes, or until the potatoes and chicken are golden brown. 

Food is sentimental; the idea is that one takes the time and effort to prepare a meal for someone they love. From the mise en place to the final dish on the table, food is the greatest expression of love. Regardless of whether you have a significant other to spend Valentine’s Day with, I truly believe this is a recipe you can make for anyone special in your life, including your friends and family. Enjoy!